Saturday, October 29, 2011

Journal 12:

Kim Craft, R. (2003). Using spreadsheets to conduct monte carlo experiments for teaching introductory econometrics. Southern Economic Journal, 69(3), 726.

This one helps me to organize a lecture notes being simple to understand and practice. In fact, the Monte Carlo experiments were a valuable tool in econometrics courses but students do not often perform it. The reasons are they must pay much for software like Stata or Sas and also spend a lot of time to learn it. However, this article provides a method to practice Monte Carlo stimulation with Microsoft Excel, that is actually a lot cheaper. For me, this offered an effective method for teaching the basic econometric concepts. As a teacher, I always want to simplify everything I must teach, that would inspire my students to learn and practice more.

3 comments:

  1. wow I learned excel when I was elementray school 6th grade.. but I forget it.. I think if I read your paper, I can remember it.. maybe..? hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! My wife, who uses EXCEL everyday, always tells me that EXCEL can do anything.

    ReplyDelete